Friday, October 26, 2012

Cost of Plants

Sometimes I am amazed at the cost of different plants. I understand the requirements necessary to produce healthy plants are large, especially if the plant is rare, but sometimes I see a price at a store and it makes me gasp.

My parents had a few sago palm trees (Cycas revoluta) in their yard that were reproducing like rabbits. Instead of just throwing out the young offspring, they potted them and gave three to me. These guys seem to LOVE Atlanta because they have taken off this year. I just assumed that since these seem to replicate so easily, lord knows my parents didn't do anything special to their trees, the price for a small sago palm would be on the lower end of the spectrum. Well to my surprise one day while shopping at a big box improvement store, I found a small sago palm for $134!!! I couldn't believe it and immediately took a picture to send to my parents. If they only knew they could be making so much money off these things!


No comments:

Post a Comment