Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Gardenia Propagation

Being a child of the south, I adore gardenias. Their simple yet beautiful blooms and that fragrance! When Jonny and I moved into our new home one of the house warming gifts we received from my parents were two small gardenia plants. (My mom knows me too well.) Since then, those plants have more than tripled in size and they bloom like crazy twice a year. I keep them green and happy by adding a tablespoon of Epson salts to the soil every month or so. This will help with any yellowing. Now on to propagation: First, you will want to cut about 2 inches of the newest growth from one of the branches. These leaves will be a lighter green than the more hardy leaves. Next, remove any lower leaves from the stem and put the whole thing into a small cup or pot with potting soil. This cup/pot needs to have a way to draw up the water from below so if possible, use something that has holes (or you can add them). Some people say to add a growth hormone but I have never had any issues with just using soil. Now you will need to cover this cup with a plastic bottle that fits somewhat snugly against the cup you have the gardenia in. It doesn't have to fit exact just enough for a greenhouse effect to take place. In the photo below I have cut the bottom off of a orange juice container. Works like a charm. Place the plant in a window sill or somewhere it will get a decent amount of indirect light for a couple of hours a day. The room should also be warmer than 70 degrees. Finally, wait and water, and wait, and water. You want to make sure the roots have formed and are properly hydrating the plant. This takes a least a couple of weeks. I typically remove the bottle and see if the leaves wilt after a day. If they don't, you can move your new gardenia plant outdoors! I have never lost a plant using this method and I plan to test it out on other plants. The thought of not spending a dime on such wonderful plants is beyond exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment