Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Forray Into Garlic Growing

Seeing that the growing season for veggies has begun to wind down, I decided to fill the empty spaces in my beds with a unique variety of garlic. I bought the Basque Turban variety online from Filaree Garlic Farm. I looked up the proper planting procedures and planted the two bulbs worth of cloves.


Make sure you give the cloves plenty of room to grow and also plant the wider base of the clove towards the ground. These are bulbs after all and will not do well growing towards the ground. You also need to keep the protective "skin" on each of the cloves when you are planting them. I read on some sites that you should soak them in a vinegar bath but I didn't bother to do that. We will see if that was a dire mistake.


When you are done planting the cloves, cover them with loose dirt and a straw mulch (I used the extra pine needles I have all over my yard) and water, water, water.


I cannot wait for garlic scapes and fresh garlic!

No comments:

Post a Comment